Thursday, February 8, 2007
Northern New Jersey 2006. A 25 year old female a non-smoker during routine chest X-ray was found to have a large mass in the left lung. Upon biopsy it was determined that the this was an Aspergilloma, a fungal ball as a result of the exposure to the Aspergillus fungi. The family requested a "mold inspection" and the home was inspected for the fungal mold but was not identified. The patient contacted a medical mycologist for consultation. A subsequent investigation identified the specie of fungus that caused here condition extensively in the basement of the home. it was overlooked and was not identified by an untrained "mold inspector".
Posted by Indoor Environmental Health Sciences at 10:32 AM